Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Immortal - Ruins Reskin


By this point, everyone is pretty familiar with the SoU Ruins tileset. It's nice, but I've felt for some time that the color scheam was too light - especially the baseline light cream/ brown. There's nothing terrifying or even moody about creamy tiles, even if that might be the most likely color in a desert stone (keep in mind, of course, that these ruins were originally the "interior" of the desert tileset.

So with that in mind, I've started a retexturing project - a simple one, mind, since I'm the first one to admit I know almost nothing about tiles or models. The end goal here is to darken the tiles a little bit from the screenshot above, to the one below.


The rest of these are just shots of various reskinned areas. I've tried to increase the contrast between existing colors significantly, while overall darkening the entire set so that it's not so "cheery" in most lightings. Here's a shot of some of the new Ruins - Exterior textures:


Here's a nice little change. The large hall doors have gone from dull goldish-brown ...


To a rich red-brown and burnished brown/ gold combination:


Here's the reskinned exterior mosaic:


The overall effect is quite striking in the game. Now as soon as I can figure out how to convert TGA files to DDS, I'll have a nice reskin for "The Immortal" that's a bit closer to the original game's colors.

When they're done, I'll release this as a separate, overriding reskin hak on the Vault.

No comments:

Post a Comment